Despite stringent measures imposed by the government on Anglophones in their two aboriginal regions in order to strangle them to give up the resistance,
Ghost town in Kumba last week
Despite stringent measures imposed by the government on Anglophones in their two aboriginal regions in order to strangle them to give up the resistance, there has been no abating in the strike action, ghost town operations and schools are still closed.
In spite of all government communiqués on state radio and television announcing the resumption of classes this Monday, January 23rd, inhabitants of Kumba woke up to another ghost city yesterday.
The streets were deserted and just a handful of persons could be seen going up and down. Few bikes provided essential services in restricted areas while taxis were rare to be found. Most businesses too were closed down including gov’t offices – it was more of a public holiday. Kumba main motor park that receives thousands of travelers’ everyday was completely deserted without even the sight of a fly. At one end, some police officers were spotted armed to the teeth.
Following the announcement made over state media of resumption of classes. At the Government Bilingual Primary school I, II, III and Government Nursery School Kumba Mbeng, the gate was closed and only a handful of teachers were present.
Contrary to this The Cameroon Tribune posted yesterday saying School resumed effectively yesterday in the Northwest and Southwest regions. This got a lot of Anglophones very bitter.
Members of the Southern Cameroons Consortium of Teachers, Lawyers and Parents meeting yesterday with the gov’t arranged adhoc
Members of the Southern Cameroons Consortium of Teachers, Lawyers and Parents meeting yesterday with the gov’t arranged adhoc committee to find solutions to ongoing strike action by Teachers and Lawyers rose from the meeting with rather more punitive measures against the Cameroon regime, daring it to summon an immediate referendum that return country to the status prior to 1961.
“The government should organize a referendum without further delay so that West Cameroonians can effectively return to the two State Federation.”
They made the demand in a hastily drafted press released sent out early this morning, Cameroon time. In the release, the leaders said they are calling off a scheduled press conference they had planned for 11:00am Cameroon time, justifying it on increased insecurity in the city.
They also disclosed in the press statement that just after the talks ended late last night, some four Southern Cameroonians were fatally shot by trigger ready military officers deployed into Bamenda, wondering why gov’t should be talking dialogue and at the same time militarizing and brutalizing citizens.
“Our people,” they said, “are ready to peacefully resist the sadistic military occupation which have continued unabated for half a century.”
Due to general insecurity in town, the press conference scheduled for the 14th January 2017 at 11:00AM at the Presbyterian Church Centre has been cancelled ,” the press statement read.
The statement, signed by Barrister Nkongho Felix, Dr. Fontem Neba and Tassang Wilfred, begins with a chronicle of how proceedings at the committee started.